Thursday, July 21, 2016

High Rouleurs Route Planning

You would think that planning out a 250 miles route which covers 33,000’ would be easy. As mentioned before I am planning to ride the 15 climbs for the Santa Monica Mountain Challenge. That said and having ridden several climbs that I had not ridden before last weekend it caused me to rethink my plan, especially the last ride of the day; Corral Canyon, which was to be honest, brutal! No doubt the fact that it was at the end of the day was a contributor but having a look on VeloViewer revealed just how and why it was so painful. The total segment is only 5.5 miles long yet it took an hour (the KOM time is 30 minutes), the average grade is 6.9%

However this does not give you a clear picture as the last 2 miles levels out some and even has a little downhill. The first section of the climb is the steepest, it’s 1.2 miles long has an average grade of 11% and maxes at 23.8%, throw in 95f and it makes for a miserable 10-12 minutes!

So with all that said I have decided to omit that from this weekend, the juice is just not worth the squeeze!

Of course this means I need to find somewhere to add the 2000’ of gain luckily that’s not really a problem!

After some tinkering around on Strava Routes I have figured out to the two routes needed to accumulate the necessary distance and elevation…in fact there is a little more that I need just in case!

Day 1; 141 miles, 17,974’ of gain. I cover the following climbs; Rockstore, Stunt, 7 Minute Hill, Fernwood, Flores, Piuma, Latigo, Mulholland and Decker.

image

Day 2; 126 miles, 15,888’ of gain. I cover the following climbs; Potero, Westlake, Deer Creek, Yerba Buena, Decker, Encinal and Mulholland.

image

Obviously two very big days…bit that’s the point right!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.