Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Tour of Sufferlandria Day 3 (Rides 5 & 6)

Discretion > Valor > Stupidity!

After a late night finish on Tuesday I took a rest day, well actually I took a rest 20 hours and that seemed to do the trick. I also dialed down the intensity to 80%, this was much more in line with the training level that I have had with the TrainerRoad plan to date. With both of those factors these rides were much more manageable especially when ridden back to back. I had a three enforced breaks; one between the ride due to work, one at the start of the second ride as I had loaded the wrong video and one between the second and third intervals of the second ride to put kids to bed, ‘cos you know…life!

Overall with the dial down I was probably getting closer to 90% of original goal. It’s been while since I have ridden either of these videos and that helped keep me engaged. These are both Race simulations, there is a lot of climbing on the first one and the second has a faster cadence so it was a good mix up.

image
One GPX file for both rides, visual created out of SportTracks

image

The Wretched is 35 minutes of Tour de France stage featuring flats, three major climbs, three very short descents, a valley and a rolling run in to the finish. Lots of nice sitting in and climbing. Very much in my wheelhouse.

image

The Rookie, which lasts 55 minutes, is a race simulation too and is based on 3 x 10 minute intervals. What’s great about this video is that it has footage from the Amgen Tour of California and specifically from the Thousand Oaks finish, so I am very familiar with the on-board footage and in fact Becca and I were at the finish line that day!

The Sufferfest & Team Giant-Shimano: The Rookie: Trailer from The Sufferfest on Vimeo.

So two more finished, my plan now is to ride the next one, Do As You Are Told on Thursday and then take my foot off the gas till Race day on Sunday, recovery on Monday and then wrap things up on Tuesday and Wednesday. This is obviously developing into a big week;

image

Rolled 150 miles too and I am fast closing in on 1000 miles for the year!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this post and leaving a comment, if you are entering a contest, please ensure you put some sort of unique name down so I can get back to you. E-mail addresses are ONLY displayed to me, and never shared, sold, pilfered, or anything else unhappy.